Thursday, May 7, 2009

Evacuated

Live from Redlands, CA: the "we must be crazy" show!

So, as I mentioned, Santa Barbara is burning down... again. Jeepers. We were still a solid 3 blocks away from the mandatory evacuation zone, so there was no risk to our home. But the solid wall of smoke, 95 degree heat (87 in the house yesterday), and intermittent power outages were enough to convince us to flee. I'm pretty sure "breathing pure smoke" is up there with smoking cigarettes in the try-not-to-do-this-while-preggo category.

Now we're camped out in Redlands at my parents' home, lovely oasis of air conditioned smoke-free living. Of course, that makes me approximately 50 weeks pregnant (the calendar says 39 but the belly says otherwise) and we're 159 miles from my doctor. I've changed my tune of "come out baby come out!" to "just stay put a few more days baby!" Even if we'd stayed in SB, I'm pretty sure my doctor lives in the evacuation area, so I'm not convinced she'd be available this week anyway.

Wish us luck... and for that baby to stay put until we get home and the smoke clears!

New! Follow along with our fire here.

4 comments:

Sildah said...

Oh dear! Yes, baby, stay nice and cozy for a few more days!

Holly said...

This is going to make for a great birth story, regardless of where you happen to be on Eleanor's Birth Day. We're hoping and praying for you that you'll be back in SB - with acceptable air quality - by then.

Judy said...

Well, at least you're in fine hands in Redlands. Fear not, little Judy, you'll be well taken care of whenever Nory decides it's time...

Christine said...

Oh, Judy. I'm so sorry. I'm so glad you have somewhere air conditioned and fire free to hang out while awaiting Nory, whenever she comes!