Saturday, May 23, 2009

Early Childhood Compromises

Well, it's been two weeks. Wow! It turns out that the parent I thought I would be and the parent I've become are two very different people. Here are some of the compromises I'm already making:

I used to think: I will never give my baby formula.
Now I know: I wasn't making enough milk; my baby was going to starve. Supplementing the baby's diet with formula. I'm catching up to her, so hopefully this compromise is short lived.

I used to think: I won't use plastic, chemical filled diapers on my baby.
Now I know:
One size fits all cloth diapers cannot be used before the belly button falls off. Which means that we only just started using our cloth diapers (Nory's belly button fell off on Tuesday!). And those disposable diapers are looking awfully convenient for any kind of travel in our future, or when we just don't get around to washing/stuffing the diapers in time...

I used to think:
I won't use pacifiers.
Now I know: Having to pump every 2 hours to increase my milk supply and having a baby who is furiously hungry 2 minutes after I start pumping every single time. Give the baby a pacifier while I'm pumping.

I used to think: I won't be one of those parents who just throws their baby in a swing because they are too lazy to hold/comfort them.
Now I know: Oh, blessed swing! Need to wash dishes? Need to move laundry? Need to shower? Need to have my hands free for 5 minutes? Put baby in swing.


Nory's first time in swing

In the absence of having two adults home all the time, I'm doing a lot more convenience parenting than I'd expected! My mom left last weekend, and Dan started going back to school this week, which left Nory and me home alone. On Friday Dan went to a conference in LA and was gone from 6:30am until 7:30pm. Lots of Nory and Mommy time that day! We had fun but it was definitely not the relaxing, peaceful day I had imagined. I didn't even make it out of the house to walk the dog! Dan's mom is coming tomorrow and will be here for three weeks, so perhaps I can fall back into my "idealistic" parenting self for a little while.

6 comments:

The Krunchy Krab said...

Ah yes, you've come to the dark side of parenting. Welcome to our humble fold. Secretly I know now that you must have always thought we were terrible parents with our disposable diapers, binkies, swings, and formula...

:D

Calia said...

hmmm...i guess I'm a convenient parenter too! Mostly because our girl is still kinda small for those one size fits all BumGenius dipes, and because she goes from 0-10 in .02 seconds (she has no little whimper cry that builds up...it just goes STRAIGHT into screaming), hence, the plug (pacifier) goes right in until the problem can be efficiently resolved! We do not own a swing or bouncy seat (yet)...although it's looking really really tempting!
Love to you! hope you are feeling good!

Unknown said...

Andy - of course I never thought you were terrible parents! Calia - YES, the bum genius diapers are HUGE on Nory as well. They go up half way between her chin and her belly button. But they work, no leaks yet! On the other hand, all the disposable diapers we have which were given to us as gifts are for 8+ pound babies, which are actually too big and do tend to leak. So, an easy decision for us :)

Unknown said...

Holy moly, looks like that swing could launch her right out the window. Maybe use your robotic control theory skills to slow 'er down to a less dangerous pace?

Christine said...

Ah, yes, the true side of parenting! :) I'm just impressed that you strap her into the swing (I know, bad parent, I didn't always used to with Peter, but he couldn't move while he was swaddled and asleep and it was the only place he would sleep with his reflux because it was at a slope). Let me know when you realize that videos are your friend.

Unknown said...

And so it begins! I love your blog and the honesty!