We knew it would be a long drive and a short night, but we weren't totally prepared for just how badly Danville would conspire against us. We dragged into the hotel (Danville Inn) a little before 2am. Our hotel room was disgusting - there was hair (someone else's) all over the bathroom floor and even in the beds on the pillows. Too tired to notice or care at the moment, we fell into bed. We went to set the alarm clock and noticed it said "3am." WHAT? 3am? We thought it was 2am! So we double checked our cell phones and sure enough, they all said 3am. ARGH! Danville, which is very close to Indianapolis, must be on Eastern time. Drat. So we set the alarm for 6am and settled in for 3 meager hours of sleep.
BEEP BEEP BEEP. It wasn't our alarm - it was the alarm in the room next to us. An unoccupied room! The beeping started at 5:30 and went on for about 15 minutes before we called the front desk to have them turn it off. The charming high school student let us know she would have to finish some reports first. A full 45 minutes later, the beeping was finally turned off. We knew it was about time to get up anyway, so we also asked the front desk for towels. "I'm sorry, housekeeping doesn't get in until 8am." We finally convinced them to give us the towels from the beeping, obviously unoccupied room. We all showered and dressed, and called Megan at 6:45 like we had arranged.
A very groggy Megan answered the phone and asked us why we were calling so early - it was only 5:45! Yes, true, it turns out that the clock in the hotel room just happened to be wrong, and Danville is so close to the Indiana border that our cell phones must have been reaching a tower across the state line, giving us the wrong time. We settled back down for an hour nap, noticing this time the blood looking stains on our sheets as well as the hair on the pillows. Disgusting.
The rest of the weekend was as good as the pre-wedding fiasco had been bad. We were able to have breakfast with Megan and "help" her get ready. The wedding was beautiful, the bride was particularly beautiful, and being able to witness this moment made even the awful Danville Inn experience worth it.
Emily, Abby, Keren, Peter & Megan Green, Judy, and Janelle
A very, very tired but happy group of friends drove back to St. Louis that afternoon, where we spent a lovely two days with Keren and Jonathan Marzinke, friends from Seattle who moved just before Dan and I did. Keren is 29 weeks pregnant, it is hard to imagine my belly growing so much in just a few months! But she looks radiant. We had a full night of sleep followed by Sunday morning breakfast (cinammon rolls and eggs), morning prayers in our pajamas, and an over all excellent recovery day. There was even snow on the ground when we woke up!
Breakfast at the Marzinkes'
I apologize for the length of this blog, it is becoming a novella, however I felt I could not do the weekend justice without full disclosure of the Danville Inn experience. I hope none of you ever find yourselves having to stay there.
More photos of the wedding and weekend here.
2 comments:
No way I'll ever stay there after your blog...If I ever happen to be in the area, I might just happen to pop in and announce for all to hear "HEY! This is the notoriously HORRIBLE Danville Inn! I've heard about this place!!"
But I'm so glad to see the pictures--at least one of the bride too! Thanks for sharing!
What a horrible room experience - I hope they didn't charge you! I didn't mind the novella - you are a very entertaining writer and it's fun to follow your adventures - I can vicariously share your travels this way :)
Post a Comment