Friday, February 19, 2010

Olympics, Birthday, Stats

You have to wonder at some missing Olympic events - things I could really have a chance at. For example, flip-twist-crawl-wiggle-diapering. I'd be a medal contender at that one for sure. Or, the feed-the-dog-your-Cheerios-the-second-mom-blinks event, Nory would be a shoe-in! Needless to say we've been enjoying the traditional Winter Olympics on our recently discovered free cable this week. But whose idea was it to start them at 8pm??? I think it's just an evil ploy by the television industry to keep you up past your bedtime.

Wednesday we celebrated Dan's birthday. I made this cake for him - my first ever Canon cake!
I also made a mini-Thanksgiving dinner - green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and a really small turkey (you may know it by its common name, the chicken).
Dan has been enjoying Nory's new crawling skills by making little trails of puffs for her to follow through the house.
Here is a picture of bathtime, Nory's very most absolutely no competition favorite time of the day. She starts dancing and can almost take her own shirt off when she hears the water running in the tub. (If you are wondering, which you probably aren't, the disposable diaper is complements of preparing for our Seattle adventure which begins tomorrow (didn't want a partial load of diapers laying around all week!)).

And for our statistically interested audience - this week was Nory's 9 month check-up.

Height: 26.75 inches (20%)
Weight: 17lb 10oz (30%)
Head: 16.75 inches (20%)

Hmmm, where did my short and stout baby go? I guess she is going to just be short, not so much of the stout. The plump baby phase didn't last long enough! Sigh.
We skipped the shots this time around, since Nory was still sporting the runny nose tail end of a cold and because we are about to travel. The only thing on our doctor's "alternative shot schedule" for this checkup was Hep B, which the doctor said could very easily be delayed since it isn't a risk for babies. We'll catch up at the next appointment. (Also Calia? Are you there? They mentioned they normally check for hemoglobin at 9 months but that could also be delayed until 12 since our baby is healthy. However, for that they just do a finger prick, not a blood draw, so maybe it is different than what your doc did with X.)

Now, if only the laundry would finish so I can pack for our trip! I'm not as excited as I would normally be at the prospect of a trip to Seattle, because I'm going into it knowing that our kid is, as it turns out, kind of a crummy traveler. But she's so happy, fun, and easy otherwise that I feel like I still got a pretty good deal. Who knows, maybe she'll surprise us.

3 comments:

Calia said...

Thanks Jude!

ours ended up being a finger prick, because they couldn't get any blood from her arm--but by then she was already screaming :( poor girl. My guess is that they probably still have extremely high levels of lead paint/products in homes here so they wanted to do a lead check as well as iron...

But I think I'll make them send us to Children's hospital (Christine's brilliant idea) where they are excellent with babies--if we EVER have to do such an ordeal again. Bluh!

Darling pictures of Nory (and the Canon cake)...hope your travels go shockingly well!

love!

Abacus said...

Yum, Canon cake. Thanks for leaving the leftovers with us. It's delicious.

Keren said...

I love that canon cake, and also that you managed to make it just right for Dan, and with PINK icing! You make me laugh! Your powers of creativity never fail to amaze me!