Thursday, December 22, 2011

Hung by the chimney with care

I seem to have finished making Elliott's stocking by the skin of my teeth in time for Christmas.


My original plan, when I made Nory's stocking 2 years ago, was to make a felt one because it was easier than knitting one and eventually I might get nicer ones that matched for the whole family when we had more than one kid. But her felt stocking turned out a little cuter than I had anticipated and so this year, instead of ordering new ones from a catalog, I made a matching one for Elliott.


I don't think they will last forever - certainly any rigorous playing will probably tear the felt. But I think they are pretty cute hung there by the chimney in their jingle bell way.

Their names are sewn on - sewn. Not glued. Sewn. Not glued. This is very important.


And here is why. When I was a kid, I had a felt stocking that my grandma had made, but the letters of my name were glued on. And it just so happened that the name on my stocking was "Judith." It also happened that my Christmas stocking was the only place I ever saw the name Judith all year - the rest of the year I was always Judy.

One year before I can remember, the bottom of the "i" fell off. And I went years - years and years - knowing that my real name was Judith, and believing that it was spelled J-U-D-'-T-H. Yep, that's an apostrophe. I think I might have been in high school before I found out that my name didn't actually have an apostrophe in it.

So... my kids names are sewn on. Ell'ott will thank me one day.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Ha! Did not ever hear that story Jud'th...that's like Jeremy who used to pronounce FORK as THORK until he was about 8. I never corrected him because I thought it was some developmental speech thing that would correct itself. When I finally corrected him he said "Mom-why didn't you tell me before this???"